Monday, April 26, 2010

Arlington Library Book Sale - My Wallet Rejoices!

While I might have been too busy to be doing a lot review posting last week, I can at least say that yesterday I was able to increase the likelihood that more will be coming up soon! Yesterday I went to the Friends of Arlington Library Book Sale and I'm happy to report it was fantastic. I'm one of those readers where if I purchase a new book I worry about scuffing the cover or the spine, but used books? Those are free game. They come to me well loved already so I get to pack them into my purse to my heart's content! Plus, it's always nice to get a price break; that never hurts.

But even better than just having used- thus already cheaper- selections at my fingertips was the fact on Sunday the books were half off the used price! I was walking around and flipping through hard covers that were between $1 - $2 (USD) and paperbacks that were $.50! AMAZING! I wish I'd taken a picture of the whole garage area that they'd cornered off for the sale because it was very impressive; lots and lots of rows of shelves and tables organized by ceiling signs to denote the genre. They even had a section for rare books in addition to one for CDs/DVDs. Shows you what the atmosphere's like at libraries in different counties right? Back home in NC the library I visited didn't even have a CD/DVD section and by the time I moved from the area it was just
starting to get audio books.

I'm happy to report that combining half-off used books with an impromptu lunch at IHOP meant that my wallet did not suffer as significant damage as I had anticipated. In fact, I'd brought two totes and a book bag with me (just in cases) but ended up only partially filling the first tote. Yay me! Yay for my wallet! There are the books/movies I ended up getting yesterday:

Books
Wishes by Jude Deveraux
The Invitation by Jude Deveraux
Family Man by Jayne Ann Krentz
Ill Wind by Rachel Caine
Dawn in Eclipse Bay by Jayne Ann Krentz
Belgarath the Sorcerer by David and Leigh Eddings
The Outstretched Shadow by Mercedes Lackey and James Mallory
Owlflight by Mercedes Lackey and Larry Dixon

DVDs
Card Captor Sakura: The Movie
Chris Rock: Bigger and Blacker

I got all of these books for $9.25 (USD)!! $9.25! That's less than half the price of a hardcover and still cheaper than Amazon.com especially considering that I didn't have to pay for shipping! Immediate gratification - it's a glorious thing.

As you can probably tell, I'm very excited about all of the books I bought. The only real 'new' books in the bunch (meaning I haven't read them before) are the two books by Jude Deveraux. Deveraux is one of those authors I read on an inconsistent basis - she could probably be termed a library read for me. I've read her Summerhouse and Forever series before, and since I enjoyed them quite a bit I decided to just take a chance and by the two that I saw at the sale. Nora Roberts was unfortunately picked pretty much clean by Sunday and the only titles I saw were ones that I already owned. Still, I would have to say that the day was a complete success because the only thing that could really have made it better was if I could have found the sequels to the two Mercedes Lackey books.

I'm looking forward to having some new books to review!!