Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Lion's Heat by Lora Leigh - ERR Challenge Review

Bad boy Jonas Wyatt's personal assistant, Rachel, has had a child - an innocent new life that has been put in grave danger because of Jonas's perilous games and calculations and played in the shadow-world in which he lives: the dark and sensual world of the Breeds. Now, Rachel is making only one demand of Jonas: that he finally take responsibility and deliver on the protection that only he can give.

Jonas has known for a long time that it is destiny that Rachel become his mate. He can sense it. He can also sense her reluctance. And for that, he refuses to claim her. He wants her on love alone and not because of the urge of the mating heat. But it is Jonas's destiny to claim her. And he will have his way...


I am so happy to report that this book definitely got me out of my reading rut - Yay! Happy dance! I can't say that I really stopped reading during my rut, but I just wasn't my usual enthusiastic self concerning the books on my shelf or the ones coming out - I seemed to be just 'eh' about the whole thing.

Well, if you've read anything by Lora Leigh before, you know you can't be 'eh' about her books. There's just too much going on that needs your undivided attention!

Still, to get back to the review, I'm happy report that this book was fantastic. Jonas has always been this slightly asshole-y character who you knew was sometimes working for the good of the couple and sometimes working for the good of the Breeds as a whole. For me It was a toss up how you felt about him at any given moment, but I think all of us readers were silently (or not so silently) rooting for him to get his comeuppance and find his own mate. I think Rachel was perfect, because not only was she organized and able to be a support to him on a professional level, she had the backbone to stand up to him even at his worst.

The other thing that made this book a stand out in the whole series is the uniqueness of Rachel and Jonas's bond. I don't want to spoil it, but you can definitely tell that Leigh is moving her storyline forward as the outside influences and the scientific discoveries take new directions.

(I know that's vague, but I don't want to ruin it! Read the book!)

Overall Feeling - Thumbs up! Jonas's story is everything I could have hoped for - definitely don't miss out on your chance to check out this great series!

Series - The books in this series, and the timeline for how they relate to each other, are both on Ms. Leigh's website and best understood there (because even I don't get it all! LOL!).